[OpenLayers-Users] WMS question

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Jul 21 16:50:09 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 02:29:21PM -0600, Linda Rawson wrote:
> This is really off topic but I need some help.  We have a mapping provider
> that can give us georeferenced images that would in turn need to be split up
> into tiles and put on a WMS service.  How does a complete novice go about
> this?  What should I tell them to give us the images in?

Generally speaking, "Anything GDAL/MapServer can read." I'd suggest that
you want to set up MapServer as a WMS server, reading Raster Data:

  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data

You'll then set up a WMS Server:

  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server

> Is there some kind of image splitter that takes the big
> image and splits it into tiles?

Are you sure you want to od this? Generally, there's no need to:
you can start by serving directly from the WMS, then if you need to,
you can use TileCache to cache against a WMS on the fly (storing tiles
in a local cache).

If you really want to tile things ahead of time, gdal2tiles probably
isn't a bad idea.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta