[OpenLayers-Users] Zindex problem with Firefox 3...

Scott Baker scott at pawprint.net
Mon Jul 28 18:11:16 EDT 2008

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:43:47PM -0700, Scott Baker wrote:
>
>> There are 126 markup errors on the page - I'd start there, try to clean
>> all those up so the markup validates - most of the time that will lead
>> you to the problem.
>>

> I consider that extremely unlikely (and definitely not true in this
> case). Why would you say that this would have any relevance to the
> question at hand?

Well, mainly because I thought there was a chance it wasn't a z-index
issue at all, I didn't personally notice any change crossing from ff2 to
ff3 (but I now see that is because I have other z-indexed items already
in all my sites) - However, when debugging any kind of css issue I
always look to ensure the markup validates first, because in most cases
that has been a root cause, or at least helps one locate it quickly - it
was just a suggestion.
>> - I realize that the standard response - but several of them are missing
>> end tags for things like <td> and that kind of thing can easily lead to
>> problems like this.
>>

> I can't imagine that being the case. Can you demonstrate a situation in
> which invalid HTML has any impact on the z-index ordering?

Nope, I don't tend to keep them around ;)  - but I have encountered
things I "thought' to be z-index related that turned out to be a markup
problem and had nothing to do with z-index. Again, just thought it would
help to sort out the problem.

sorry... I really appreciate all the help I have received on this list
and was just trying reciprocate.

--
skype pawprint_net
telephone 604.885.7449