[OpenLayers-Users] Including prototype

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Jul 30 10:30:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 04:13:24PM +0200, Andrew de Klerk wrote:
> When we incorporated Jquery within an openlayers application the $ was
> conflicting with Openlayers and we had to do the following:

Andrew,

http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1391 is a ticket describing this,
which has been waiting for some more feedback responding to my questions
for some time. If you have the ability to offer some feedback on that
ticket, we might be able to do something about it.

> <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/jquery-1.2.6.pack.js"></script>
>
>     <script type="text/javascript">
>         JQ=jQuery.noConflict();
>         $=null;
>     </script>
>     <!-- <script type="text/javascript"
> src="http://localhost/openlayers26/lib/OpenLayers.js"></script> -->
>

> All Jquery calls would then be called using JQ instead of $
>
> I imagine you will be having the same problem

This seems unlikely, but it is a similar class of problems. For $, we
try to be safe: for other things, we don't. WE expect that prototype
must be loaded in a specific order with regard to OpenLayers; I just
don't know which one :)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta