[OpenLayers-Users] Browser hang on large KML markers layer.

barney holmes barney_holmes at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 09:04:47 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have an issue with my browser hanging when I feed in a large number of KML markers.

*warning the following link may freeze your browser*

http://djbarney.silentflame.com/hirise/ol_popups.html

Both Firefox 2 and 3 have problems (hangs, window whites out).

The following link is the same code but without a large KML file.

http://djbarney.silentflame.com/hirise/ol_popups_small.html

You can see a few markers over South America.

I have based my code on the "KML Layer Example".

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/sundials.html

The larger KML file that I use is 3.5 mb.

http://djbarney.silentflame.com/hirise/doc.kml

It is taken from a compressed version that is published by a member of the MRO HiRise team.

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~rbeyer/kml/HiRISE_PDS.kml

Any help appreciated, and thanks to the devs for Open Layers :)

DJ Barney

Portal, SpaceDataWiki: SourceForge Project.