[OpenLayers-Users] pixel units to lat/lon units & nexrad

Scott Baker scott at pawprint.net
Wed Jun 4 17:35:44 EDT 2008

Guess I got that one totally wrong (I'm very new to all this)

I had looked at those posts - but they still show just a single TMS
layer - not TMS and WMS combined. The bit I was looking for was an
example of using a TMS on top of a WMS layer - for example - say a small
custom raster map (not of the whole world) split into TMS tiles that
should sit at a certain spot on a world basemap. I'd still love to see
an example of that if you know of any.

As for the popper prep of data for serving and mapserver speed - yes the
data probably could be much better - I'd just doing my best trying to
learn way more about GIS and these systems then I ever intended to do
:)  It's all converted to shapefiles and only 2 TIFs - large shapefiles
are split into tiles, everything has tile indexes, limits for various
layers by scale, and all the unused data has been stripped out - but I'm
really just fumbling to make it work - that said there are 27 layers
(about 8GB) of data I need to combine into a nice map - I was happy I
got it to work at all :)

PS: Please don't get me wrong - I hope that last email didn't come
across as being angry or negative about OL or this group (email
sometimes comes across that way even when not intended) - I was just
trying to help someone with seemingly the same problem.

There is an immense amount of knowledge built up inside many of the
people here - I am truly in awe of how much people know about all this
stuff - I think there are a lot of us just trying to catch up enough to
get something to work - please bear with our/my ignorance.  For example
suggesting writing another tool to do something like what gdal2tiles
does - I wouldn't ever even think of embarking upon a task like that
until I finally manage, for example, to wrap my head around how a
bounding box can be specified using metres instead of Lat/Long for units
(still stumps me - and yes I have read the posts about it)  "@^# it jim,
I'm a programmer not a cartographer!" ;)

--
skype pawprint_net
telephone 604.885.7449