[OpenLayers-Users] Help needed with vectors

realjax jax at schildmos.nl
Mon Jun 16 05:52:05 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with vectors at the moment, got most issues tackled but I
would really appreciate  help a few things.

First a short description of how I use OL,

I need to draw a *large* number of vectors on a map. We are talking 300 to
2000 vectors.
Drawing the features as true vectors is not an option because of (obvious)
performance reasons, but I have found that when creating the vector as an
icon the performance is relatively acceptable. Now I know that having so
many features on one map is not recommendable -I'll fight my managers about
it at some later time :-) - but truth is, it is not likely to go below 300
ever so I just have to squeeze the most out of the browsers.
Further requirements: all vectors(icons) need to respond to a left mouse
click, and a right mouse click (different handler from left click) and the
icon must be rotatable.

It all works very nice with firefox: 160 (rotated) 'vectors' on screen in
less then 500 milliseconds, panning is still smooth and so are all other
controls. The handlers for left and right clicking are also in place.

Two things though:

- Internet Explorer 6 is approx. fourteen times (!) slower then firefox. It
takes over 7000 milliseconds to do the same here. Since I can't find a
decent profiler for IE I have no idea where this lag is coming from. Can
anybody shed some light on this? Is there a bottleneck in the VML rendering
maybe ?

- In order to get the icon rotation working I had to get the latest version
from the trunk. (maybe a note about this needs to be added to the sample
provided online at http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/styles-rotation.html
?). This works great, but Firefox (2.0.0.14) 'loses' some objects now and
then when panning the map. One moment a vector is shown, pan a little and it
is gone, pan further and it might reappear.. Has anyone else seen this
behavior and if so, is there a patch ?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work, OpenLayers is awesome!!