[OpenLayers-Users] Help needed with vectors

realjax jax at schildmos.nl
Wed Jun 18 04:48:21 EDT 2008

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply!

Andreas Hocevar-2 wrote:

> An option would be to use Layer.WMS for your vectors.

Should that be wFs ? If not, how is the wms layer involved here? could you
elaborate?

Andreas Hocevar-2 wrote:

> First of all, VML renders slower than SVG. And because rotation in VML
> is much more expensive than in SVG. If you try to use unrotated
> features, you will see that it is faster, but still slower than SVG.
> But I suspect most of the time is eaten up by the rotation. A
> workaround would be to provide separate icons for e.g. 12 or 16
> angles. More different angles usually don't make sense in terms of
> human perception.

Ah true, I have already experimented with this, and rotating is indeed
expensive.
When not rotating, IE is only 8 times slower, versus 14 times with rotating.
:-)
I was hoping I could get away with only one icon though. :-)

Cheers and thanks!