[OpenLayers-Users] Draw features one by one in IE?

realjax jax at schildmos.nl
Sun Jun 22 08:50:45 EDT 2008

Eric Lemoine-3 wrote:

> Do you unserialize the features (using some Format object) before you
> add them to the vector layer? If so have you verified that it is not
> that unserialization process that actually takes time in IE6? Given
> that addFeatures seem to draw all features at once it seems to me that
> addFeatures is very fast. addFeatures gets slower when you write to
> the console for each feature, hence the "features drawn one by one"
> effect. If that's indeed the unserialization process that takes time,
> one could imagine requesting features page by page (possibly using the
> paging strategy that's being developed in the vector-behavior
> sandbox).

Hi Eric,

No unfortunately. I measured the addfeatures method to be the bottleneck
here. It receives an array with features and then the delay starts..
I did a test with 800 objects.  That took IE over 200,000 ms, while Firefox
was done in 4000...

Anyway, looks like I need to do some more research..
Thanks for your help sofar!