[OpenLayers-Users] Draw features one by one in IE?

realjax jax at schildmos.nl
Wed Jun 25 09:10:15 EDT 2008

Christopher Schmidt-4 wrote:

> Welcome to the world of VML.
>
> Seriously, I doubt there's going to be much you can do in OL to help
> yourself here: IE's rendering is much much slower than FF.

Indeed, I tried all I could think of, but the performance in IE 6 (and 7)
remained too slow.
I've left vectors for what they are and am now investigating markers.
Tweaked it a little and allthough still too slow for IE 6, IE 7 is
acceptable Firefox is faster and Opera and Safari are very fast (calc and
rendering 800+ markers in just over a second, whereas IE7 takes 5.)

Doesn't look like WFS is the answer either because of the (sometimes) very
large number of features. (1000+)
I can also not render them into a WMS layer, because the data is not static
(moving ships)

Thanks for all the tips and help people!