[OpenLayers-Users] What's wrong with this program?

djs7743 at att.net djs7743 at att.net
Tue Mar 11 19:28:04 EDT 2008

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the following simple OL program? All I get is a solid pink box. Starting with the "lite" example on OL.org, all I've done is replace the WMS with a different one.

I'm pretty sure all my OpenLayers.Layers.WMS params are correct, at least conceptually, because typing the following url into my browser brings up a nice image.

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wms?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=3338_24550&FORMAT=image/png&WIDTH=644&HEIGHT=289&CRS=CRS:84&BBOX=-180,-90,180,90&STYLES=

I'm guessing I might be botching the syntax to OpenLayers.Layers.WMS. Or maybe I need to do something with the size of the image that I don't realize I need to do?

Any help would be much appreciated. As you can probably tell, I'm a complete newbie at this.

Thanks,
Darrin

-------Program Follows------------

  <head>
	<title>OpenLayers Basic Single WMS Example</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="../theme/default/style.css" type="text/css" />
        #map {
            width: 512px;
            height: 512px;
            border: 1px solid black;
        }
    <script src="../lib/OpenLayers.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
        var map, layer;
        function init(){
            map = new OpenLayers.Map( 'map' );

	    // different layer added here by DJS, used to be

	    layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "OpenLayers WMS",
			"http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wms?",
			{layers: '3338_24550',
			VERSION: "1.3.0",
			format: "image/png",
			width: 644, height: 289,
		  	styles: "opaque",
                            crs: "CRS:84", bbox: "-180,-90,180,90"});

            map.addLayer(layer);
            map.zoomToMaxExtent();
        }
    </script>
  </head>
	<h1 id="title">Basic Single WMS Example</h1>

		This example shows a very simple layout with minimal controls.  This example uses a single WMS base layer.