[OpenLayers-Users] Google Summer of Code 2008

Andrew de klerk andrew.deklerk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 02:45:43 EDT 2008

Hi all

I have had a look at the trac for this cited on the dev mailing list, and am
not sure if this is the appropriate place for this suggestion, but here
goes.

Linda Rawson suggested to include plugin development for openlayers as part
of te summer of code. I was reminded of this when I saw the post by Jachym
Cepicky about his customised layerswitcher. In many cases as users, we would
like to use the most stable release eg 2.5, but sometimes need/want to use
enhancements such as this layerswitcher, or a scalebar etc. Currently the
only way is to download from trunk etc and essentially create your own
custom version of openlayers. I forsee this being a problem when future
release are released. I would like to see the development of a core base
with the ability to "plugin" these great enhancements. As it stands I would
already plugin the scalebar and the enhanced popups. I have resisted trying
to create my own custom version in fear of breaking something.

Of course, I may be way of mark here, and those in sweatshop may offer a
slight from!

I have not added to the trac for this exact reason, but I look forward to
comments

Keep up the work on a great product
Andrew