[OpenLayers-Users] Google Summer of Code 2008

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Mar 12 11:22:59 EDT 2008

Andrew,

Along these lines, I have had to overload some OL methods to get the
behavior I wanted. So mostly I have not patched OL for my own purposes.

You can see this on my geofence editor (a work in progress) at
   http://imaptools.com/~woodbri/edit/index26.php?extent=-129,19+-60,60

I am using svn at the moment because it has a lot of features and fixes
in feature editing code that I am referencing. Of course working in svn
has some risks I have found it to be very stable. An the only changes I
have had to workaround are bug fixes  and small changes the link page above.

For my two cents, I love the idea of plugins. I believe that if you
build a plugin and later change OL version, you should be reasonably
protected but now 100%. Like if the plugin uses from core features of OL
that have been totally rewritten or replaced.

I yo have lots of application code that is dependent on some given
version of OL, then you can give each  a unique name like:

/js/OpenLayers/2.4/OpenLayers.js
/js/OpenLayers/2.5/OpenLayers.js
/js/OpenLayers/2.5p1/OpenLayers.js  // patched version of OL2.5
/js/OpenLayers/svn/2008-03-12/OpenLayers.js

And then load the appropriate on in you HTML.

-Steve W