[OpenLayers-Users] markers & popups confusion

MilesTogoe miles.togoe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 18:25:00 EDT 2008

working with examples in 2.6 dev (as of 3/18)

when I look at markers.html there appears to be some automagic in the
popups calling an alert box but getting the strings in a text file - I
see the icon url but not the string file url - somewhere it is making
the connection.  How does one structure the content, especially when
working from a db array  (via alert box css & text file parsing ?)

when I look at popups.html I see the mousedown events firing the popups
but don't really see what the difference between the regular and
anchored popups except that one seems offset from the other and I assume
that offset in the anchor must be fixed?.    Also this example seems
pretty buggy - the remove marker layer does not seem to work and when an
anchored popup is closed, another cannot seem to be opened up (I think
this is from non-active markers in the same location getting the events ?)

1) which is the more preferable way to add popups (alert box defined in
the marker or popups with their separate events) ?  or what is really
the pros/cons of each ?
2) what is the best way to add popup content when adding markers in a
loop of objects ?