[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers WFS with GeoServer

ChrisWebster cwebster at tyadar.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 06:51:10 EDT 2008

I'm new to OL, Ajax etc, so I hope you'll excuse this dumb question, but....

I have OL and GeoServer running on my local machine.  Apache is at
http://localhost/, and geoServer is on http://localhost:8080/geoserver/.  I
can load WMS layers from my local GeoServer into a web page on localhost
using OpenLayers jsut fine.  But if I try to load  a WFS layer into the same
web page from the same GeoServer instance, I get an error:

"Permission denied to call method XMLHttpRequest.open"

The WFS layer seems to be OK if I load it via GeoServer's own demo pages
(which are running on http://localhost:8080), so as far as I can tell, the
feature layer and GeoServer are working OK together.  It's when I try to
load the WFS layer with OpenLayers via my Apache server that things fall
apart.

This looks like the usual cross-domain problem, but why should I be getting
this for the WFS layer if everything works with my WMS layer served via
exactly the same servers?

Any ideas will be gratefully received!