[OpenLayers-Users] Using OpenLayers against ArcGIS Server WMS

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Mar 27 18:05:01 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 04:01:06PM +0000, Eamonn Doyle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for advice on using an ArcGIS Server WMS against a base layer in Spherical Mercator.
>
> I'm using a modification of the spherical mercator example as per below. Specifically I'm having difficulty in understanding how to have OpenLayers request map images from the WMS using a EPSG that ArcGIS Server understands. I'm using ArcGIS Server 9.3 beta which includes support for spherical mercator using EPSG:102113. However the sample below creates getmap requests with EPSG:900913 which result in an invalid SRS message from the WMS. Can anyone advise as to whether I can have OpenLayers request the WMS in EPSG:102113 so that they overlay on MultiMap, Google etc?

1. Multimap is a special case: we don't actually work well over
multimap. (See the multimap spherical mercator example for more
example/information: its not good.)
2. http://openlayers.org/pipermail/users/2008-March/005169.html is an
explanation of why this behavior exists, and how you can work around it.
This has been filed as a ticket in
http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1437 currently targeted for 2.7.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta