[OpenLayers-Users] Adding a GeoJSON Layer

Bjorn Sandvik B.Sandvik at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun Mar 30 18:14:01 EDT 2008

>On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 06:11:05PM +0100, Bjorn Sandvik wrote:
>>/ Hi,
/>>/
/>>/ I'm looking at possibilities of using OpenLayers for thematic mapping
/>>/ (thematicmapping.org), and I think GeoJSON might be a suitable format
/>>/ for choropleth maps.
/>>/
/>>/ I'm able to generate GeoJSON on the server using PHP, and my country
/>>/ polygons are rendered in OpenLayers when I'm pasting the GeoJSON code
/>>/ on: http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/vector-formats.html
/>>/
/>>/ My question: What is the best way to load and render a GeoJSON layer in
/>>/ OpenLayers?
/>
> new OpenLayers.Layer.GML("My GeoJSON Layer", "/file.geojson",
>  {format: OpenLayers.Format.GeoJSON});
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> MetaCarta

Thanks, it works. Is it also possible to load a GeoJSON file using the read function?

	map = new OpenLayers.Map('map');
        var wms = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "OpenLayers WMS",
        	"http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0?", {layers: 'basic'});
        vectors = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("Vector Layer");
        map.addLayers([wms, vectors]);

        var parser = new OpenLayers.Format.GeoJSON();
        var features = parser.read("filename");

See last line.
I guess I can more easily manipulate the features this way.

Bjorn

http://blog.thematicmapping.org