[OpenLayers-Users] Attributes of WFS features

Robert Sanson SansonR at asurequality.com
Tue May 20 18:07:48 EDT 2008

I have a n OpenLayers map that displays point markers for a WFS layer served from Mapserver. The source data is an OGR Virtual layer reading froma table in a SQL-server database with x,y fields in a table.

Here is the OL snippet that adds the layer:

var wfs = new OpenLayers.Layer.WFS("API WFS",
          "http://10.65.192.1/cgi-bin/apiwfs.exe?",
          {typename: 'apiaries_dev', maxfeatures: 100},
          {scales: [150000, 10], featureClass: OpenLayers.Feature.WFS});
                map.addLayers([wms1,wfs]);
                map.setBaseLayer(wms1);

The layer displays fine on top of a base WMS layer.

I want to be able to select a single marker using a CTRL-click, and send the attributes to a div below the map. Next I want to be able to capture a new location for the marker using ALT-click, and send the map coordinates to a separate div. From there, I will formulate a POST to a server to update the location in the source table.

The code for capturing the coordinates is as follows:

//add various map controls
                var control = new OpenLayers.Control();
                OpenLayers.Util.extend(control, {
                    draw: function () {
                    // this Handler.Point will intercept the ctrl-mousedown
                    // before Control.MouseDefault gets to see it
                        this.point = new OpenLayers.Handler.Point( control,
                            {"done": this.notice},
                            {keyMask: OpenLayers.Handler.MOD_ALT});
                        this.point.activate();
                    },

                    notice: function (bounds) {
                        document.getElementById('apiary').innerHTML = bounds;
                    }
                });
                map.addControl(control);

This works.

However, I have no idea as to how to select and then get at the attributes of the WFS layer. Any help appreciated.

Many thanks,

Robert Sanson

The contents of this email are confidential to AsureQuality. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments. The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of AsureQuality. This message has been scanned for known viruses before delivery. AsureQuality supports the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. If you do not wish to receive similar communications in future, please notify the sender of this message.