[OpenLayers-Users] buffer parameter in new layer request

djud djud at bas.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 10:15:19 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm using openlayers/geoserver to display an image layer over a base map
layer.

If I view both layers at, or near, the maximum zoom extent, then the
response from the server is very quick - the whole map can be rendered in
3-4 tiles so the server only has to send 3-4 tiles.

However, if I zoom-in to a small portion of the image layer, the response
from the server is very slow. Many (20-30) tiles are returned from the
server even though only 3-4 are actually visible to the user.

It's as if the server is returning the whole map at the zoomed-in scale
rather than just the portion visible to the user.

I've been told to add the 'buffer: 0' parameter to the layer generating
javascript so that no tiles, outside of the viewing area are requested by
openlayers.

This doesn't work and I can't even see a reference to 'buffer' in the
openlayers code.

Is it possible for openlayers to only request the tiles it requires to
render the visible area of the map?

Thanks for any help,
Dave