[OpenLayers-Users] GIS Map Data

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Nov 13 07:05:05 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 06:55:32AM -0500, Feng Wong wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am  a newbie to the mapping application and I need your help. I am using
> openlayers and with the help of so many examples and extensive API, I am
> progressing very well. But, I have one request regarding data. I do not know
> where can I get free global raw data that  can use to run my application
> offline; i.e downloading to my local computer and being able to use it
> without connecting to the internet. Could you please give me some pointers
> to where I can download and use the data locally. Another question I have is
> how extensive is this data?  If I can get countries/states/regional
> boundaries, that would be sufficient for my application. Also, if there are
> any premium data as well, I would like to get the pointers for their sites.

Feng,

There is no global repository of such data. We do have a 'datasets'
page, but it is decidedly limited:

  http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Datasets

I might recommend that you take your question to the OSGeo Geodata list
at http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/geodata, which is designed to
help answer these types of questions.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta