[OpenLayers-Users] Seeking advice over multiple projections (inc. polar)

coastalrocket andy at planetnomad.com
Tue Nov 25 05:01:32 EST 2008

Am i right in thinking that openlayers won't do reprojections on the fly?

I have an image of Antarctica in the Universal Polar Steregraphic projection
loaded into geoserver as a WMS. I can create an openlayers client and
receive the image. I also need to display a KML file on top. Now because the
KML data is lat/long it's not going to set happy on the map unless
openlayers reprojects it on the fly. From viewing threads on this mailing
list i'm still not sure whether this is possible.

If it's not then presumably i must come up with some script that converts
the lat/long coordinates to UPS projection. If i rewrite these UPS
coordinates back the KML file then openlayers will be able to load them onto
my projected map. I understand that i might be able to use proj4 for this
operation.

[I'm a little confused why my UPS projected image gets picked up by
geoserver as EPSG:4326 and not EPSG:32761 but that's a post for the
geoserver list. The mouse coordinates displayed in the openlayers client
looks correct so i'll take it as such.]

tia,
Andy