[OpenLayers-Users] vector layers optimization?

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 16:55:49 EDT 2008

Hi Gilles.

If i'm not mistaken XML parsing in OL also relies on the browser XML engine.

With 2.7 we have Strategy.BBOX that allows reading only features
within the current extent, but as you said that doesn't help for small
scales.

What did you want to render your features as vectors in the first
place? I found out that rendering them in raster and highlighting them
in vector often makes sense.

If you really need vectors at all scales, server-based paging might
also be something to consider. We're currently looking at it in
MapFish.

Cheers,

Eric