[OpenLayers-Users] Determining polygon area? Trying to see through the confusion.

plen peteralen at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 17 12:15:34 EDT 2008

Hello,

I see that there is a feature.geometry.getArea() function.  This returns
some value which I am unsure as to its meaning (square degrees?).  I have
seen previous posts that sort of get into determining polygon areas but
nothing seems clear.  Maybe this is a bigger type issue than can be handled
by the OL API, not sure.  I am hoping that someone could answer (or lead to
an answer) any of the following:

1) What unit of measurement is returned by the getArea() function?

2) How to convert that to something like square miles, meters, kilometers,
etc.

3) Determining the area for regular polygons vs irrlegular polygons.

Thanks for any insight - Peter