[OpenLayers-Users] where to start?

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 15:04:49 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Deli Soetiawan
<crushfire2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been impressive with OpenLayers, is there any step-by-step tutorial
> for deploying OpenLayers? i use Ka-Map before and it can easily use .shp &
> .map combination (using MS4W), is OpenLayers can read map from .map
> format? i've seen many example using what so called WMS but i didn't find
> how to set a WMS until it can be used with OpenLayers.
>
> If any... tutorial should provide beginner with knowledge how to use
> OpenLayers as WebGIS solution, more likely:

You might find lessons 7 & 8 of my Penn State MGIS course useful -
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog585/home.html I cover GeoServer
instead of MapServer (which I think is easier on windows) in lesson 7
and a basic OpenLayers install in lesson 8.

Ian