[OpenLayers-Users] kml example

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Sep 3 09:41:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 09:38:55AM -0400, Jeremy Jackson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to the openlayers emailing list.  Just wanted to introduce myself.
>
> I have a question about the kml sundials
> example<http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/kml-layer.html>.
> In line 43 of the code, you get what I've copied below:
>
> map.addLayer(new OpenLayers.Layer.GML("KML", "kml/sundials.kml",
>                {
>                 format: OpenLayers.Format.KML,
>                 projection: map.displayProjection,
>                 formatOptions: {
>                   extractStyles: true,
>                   extractAttributes: true
>                 }
>                }));
>
> My question is this: How does it know where to find the file called in line
> 43 of the code - " kml/sundials.kml" ?  If I wanted to change the code so
> that it would call a file I've saved either on the web or on my computer,
> what steps would I have to take?  I've tried simply putting the
> http://address of my kml files in there but it doesn't work that way.
> Any
> suggestions?

That's a URL. In this case, it's a relative URL: if you make your URLs
always relative, you'll never run into the 'same origin policy', which
prevents accessing files on different domains.

http://faq.openlayers.org/proxyhost/all/ has more information about the
same origin policy, how it affects OpenLayers, and how to get around it.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta