[OpenLayers-Users] GeoRSS question

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Sep 19 09:16:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 04:06:06PM +0700, Deli Soetiawan wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have some questions about GeoRSS thing in OpenLayers (2.6):
> 1. How to set GeoRSS layer to reload data after specified interval,
> example i want to reload my GeoRSS layer every 2 minutes, currently i use
> php generated georss as url, something like:
> rssPoints = new OpenLayers.Layer.GeoRSS('GeoRSS','georss.php');

http://crschmidt.net/mapping/geojson-reload.html

Since browser cache things, you probably want to also stick a
"url?random_seed=" + Math.random() on there.

> 2. Is georss layers support for line & polygon drawing? or i need to use
> GML layer instead?

Yes, you would use a GML layer with a GeoRSS format.

> 4. GeoRSS vs GML vs KML layer, which better for starter? i currently use
> GeoRSS since it really easy for the markup to write, but since GML output
> and GeoRSS output was .xml maybe i should move to GML/KML...

1. There is no KML layer. (If you look at the 'kml-layer' example, you'll
   see that it's just a GML layer.)

2. In the same way that there is no KML layer, you can also use GeoRSS
   with a "Layer.GML", and it will draw using vectors, which means you
   will get your points/lines/polys.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta