[OpenLayers-Users] WMS layer with different SRS than basemap

Dejung Gewissler dejung.gewissler at oit.state.nj.us
Fri Sep 19 09:29:41 EDT 2008

Hi All-

I've searched on Nabble for the answer to this to no avail. I know you
all are busy with the release cycle (!kudos to all that are involved!),
but I was hoping someone has an easy answer for this problem.

I've got some WMS services coming from IMS or ArcGIS servers and some
others coming from GeoServer. Unfortunately ESRI identifies the NJ State
Plane (us feet) coordinate system as EPSG:102711 and GeoServer uses
EPSG:3432. ESRI doesn't have a EPSG:3432 and GeoServer doesn't have a
EPSG:102711!!! I understand that OpenLayers doesn't support raster
reprojection because it would be nearly impossible to do in a browser,
etc. My images, however, are fundamentally of the same projection,
albeit with a different SRS identifier. I just need them laid on top of
each other.

I define my map with options {... projection: 'EPSG:102711' ...} and my
WMS overlays with {... srs: 'EPSG:3432' ...}. The WMS overlays are
nonetheless being sent with SRS=EPSG:102711. It seems that OL ignores
the passed-in srs in the layer constructor and defaults to whatever the
baselayer's projection is. That makes sense in stopping the raster
reprojection train, but poses a problem in my situation. Is there a way
to force the SRS change of a WMS overlay?

Thanks,
Dejung