[OpenLayers-Users] How to add many(>400) markers to the map?

Chris Adams chris at genieknows.com
Tue Apr 14 09:09:43 EDT 2009

I don't think a lot of experimentation is required, I would implement it
as such:

g = [view port width / cell size][view port height / cell size]

For each point, p:
   px <- convert p to view port PX
   px <- floor(px / cell size)
   if px in g is valid and g[px.x][px.y] not defined:
     g[px.x][px.y] <- p

for each cell in g, if defined:
    render g[x][y] as marker

I'd run this on zoom end, and move end (after pan completes, or after
mouse button released)

The only configuration is the cell size, where 1 would mean there would
be at most 1 marker for a given pixel, and the values increase from
there. A higher value would mean better preformance, a lower would have
a higher density of points.

- Chris