[OpenLayers-Users] How to add many(>400) markers to the map?

willson talentp1982 at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Apr 14 13:48:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:52:03AM -0700, willson wrote:

> Hi everyone, this is the first post on this forum. I have search the
> problem on the forum, but find no anwser.  What I need to solve is:  I
> have more than 400 points need to show on the map, these points query
> my db every 10 secs, and change their color according to the return
> value.  I use the openlayers.layer.marker to implement, but in ie the
> markers make the map so slow when zooming.  Then I move to
> openlayers.layer.vector, but it's even slower than marker.  Any
> suggestion in such "Adding large and dynamically changed markers"
> situation?

"Don't support IE".

-- Chris

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Hi everyone, thanks for the answers, but I still confuse the things below:
(1)Should I use a server-side solution(wms) or browser-side(markers, vector)? I have no idea.
server-side: how to implement dynamic changes?
browser-side: performance in IE is not acceptable, and most of the user in my application will use IE.
(2)If use browser-side solution, does the cluster strategy only apply to the vector layer? But vector layer is more slow than markers layer.