[OpenLayers-Users] example for point vector needed

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Wed Apr 22 09:05:19 EDT 2009

Tim Michelsen wrote:
> may you please point me on an example that shows a marker with text
> pop-up and a custom icon (non-standard red one) and employs the latest
> methods?
>
> I read somewhere, that marker layers are not the way to achieve this.

You can, but it's not the recommended way.

> But how do I use the vetor layers in order to create such a feature?

http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/sundials.html

has everything you are requesting above.

> My markers shall use lat/lon variables taken from a database (not like
> the text file example).

If you take them from a database, you have to format them in some way
before transmitting to the client. Easiest options include GeoJSON and
the text file you mentioned. Why don't you like that one?

Regards,
Andreas.
> I have been searching all over but couldn't find.
>
> Many thanks,
> Timmie

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/