[OpenLayers-Users] Saving with a Google Maps base layer

Chris Adams chris at genieknows.com
Wed Apr 29 10:08:05 EDT 2009

Gregor at HostGIS wrote:
> Chris Adams wrote:
>> How about this?
>> http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/staticmaps/
>
> Hey, nice!
>
> I do see 1 issue with some uses: "640x640 is the largest image size
> allowed" So you may have to figure up, say, 4 references points within
> the image and make those queries to get the images. Of course, that
> means multiple "Powered by Google" texts.
>
> The use of viewport, looks as if it would return an image not matching
> your requested bounds, so computing how to blit that into your final
> product may not be feasible.
>
> Fascinating idea, though. I will contact one of our customers who does
> use Google Maps under OL and who has been wanting to print them, and
> see whether he'll fund 1-3 hours of R&D. If he does, I'll be updating
> the Printing page.

One possibility, is to align the 640x640 tiles to the bottom left of the
viewport, blit the bottom left most one fully, and underneath that one
display the other tiles with enough overlap as too remove the extra
Google copyright messages. Once the images have been combined, you're
only distributing a single image, which has the proper copyright. So I
don't think it would violate the TOS, although I'm by no means a legal
expert.