[OpenLayers-Users] Help with getExtents()

gwales gary_wales at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 06:37:26 EDT 2009

I am using Openlayers and OSM to show a GPX tracklog file and all loads well
with the viewport updating to a best fit of the GPX data.

I now need to get the extents of the map/layer in Lat/Lon to allow me to
query a point layer via ajax and load local content as vector points. I can
see I need the current bounds with a transform to get the four extents.

I can't get past stage one, map.getExtents() or layer.getExtents() always
return null and throw an error.

Can anyone help?