[OpenLayers-Users] What is the relationship between zoom level and longitude/latitude

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Fri Aug 7 07:24:51 EDT 2009

There is a function just for that:
http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Map-js.html#OpenLayers.Map.zoomToExtent

If you need the value, you can call this:
http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Map-js.html#OpenLayers.Map.getZoomForExtent

You can examine the code if you are interested in the inner workings of
calculating a zoom level from a rectangle.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S