[OpenLayers-Users] Overriding map style causing major drift

Christopher Dale chrelad at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 09:58:46 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the list, so let me know if I'm missing
anything or could improve on my posts.

I have an OpenLayers map with two layers. The first layer contains
virtual earth base tiles (street view) and the second is a vector
layer I use in conjunction with the editing toolbar. The map's
projection is spherical mercator and everything seems to be working
great. However, when I tried to change the weight and color of the
polylines created by the editing toolbar, everytime I would click to
add a point to the polyline, it would be way off (to the right). The
code I used to add the style is below:

var layer_style = OpenLayers.Util.extend({},
OpenLayers.Feature.Vector.style['default']);
layer_style.strokeColor = 'black';
vlayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector('Editable', {style: layer_style});

It may help to know that vlayer (vector layer) from the aforementioned
code is created with sphericalMercator set to true.

I used this website as a reference for styling layers:
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/vector-features.html

Is this the correct way to go about styling vector features? Is there
a different way you have to handle features created using the editing
toolbar? Any input would be appreciated :)

Thanks everyone and great list,

Chrelad