[OpenLayers-Users] GetFeatureInfo works in IE, not FF, beginner wonders why.

RT90 lalahei at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 04:41:52 EST 2009

Helo,
I'm very much a newcomer to OpenLayers, and really any sort of web
programming.
With the help of various OL examples, I've tried creating a simple viewer
for some of my GeoServers WMS layers.

The issue is the GetFeatureInfo request. Now, I've seen this referred to
before in this forum, but always when the viewer pages have been hosted on
some webserver. Currently, mine is not published anywhere, it's just sitting
in a file on the same machine as the GeoServer is running on.

The relevant code should be this: (copied from
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/getfeatureinfo.html )

		map.events.register('click', map, function (e)
				{
					OpenLayers.Util.getElement('nodeList').innerHTML = "Försöker hämta
attribut..";
					var url =  sv_vagar.getFullRequestString({
                            REQUEST: "GetFeatureInfo",
                            EXCEPTIONS: "application/vnd.ogc.se_xml",
                            BBOX: sv_vagar.map.getExtent().toBBOX(),
                            X: e.xy.x,
                            Y: e.xy.y,
                            INFO_FORMAT: 'text/html',
                            QUERY_LAYERS: sv_vagar.params.LAYERS,
                            WIDTH: sv_vagar.map.size.w,
                            HEIGHT: sv_vagar.map.size.h});
					OpenLayers.loadURL(url, '', this, setHTML);
					OpenLayers.Event.stop(e);
				});

function setHTML(response) {
                document.getElementById('nodeList').innerHTML =
response.responseText;
                }

and then css stolen from GeoServers OL preview pages:

            table.featureInfo, table.featureInfo td, table.featureInfo th {
                border: 1px solid #ddd;
                border-collapse: collapse;
                margin: 0;
                padding: 0;
                font-size: 90%;
                padding: .2em .1em;
            }

            table.featureInfo th {
                padding: .2em .2em;
                text-transform: uppercase;
                font-weight: bold;
                background: #eee;
            }

            table.featureInfo td {
                background: #fff;
            }

            table.featureInfo tr.odd td {
                background: #eee;
            }

            table.featureInfo caption {
                text-align: left;
                font-size: 100%;
                font-weight: bold;
                text-transform: uppercase;
                padding: .2em .2em;
            }

Now, this works in IE6 but not in FF.

FF 3.0.15's error console reports (roughly translated) : "Security fault:
contents of file (path to the local html-file) isn't allowed to fetch data
from
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?LAYERS=sweden_ways&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&TRANSPARENT=true&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetFeatureInfo&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_xml&SRS=EPSG%3A3006&BBOX=106524.93608%2C6533250.45206%2C1087113.063921%2C7268691.54794&X=723&Y=385&INFO_FORMAT=text%2Fhtml&QUERY_LAYERS=sweden_ways&WIDTH=900&HEIGHT=675."
and the 'loading' message in the div remains forever.

It should be mentioned that the
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/getfeatureinfo.html works in FF if I run
it from the page it's on, but FF shows the same security error if I attempt
to run it from my machine (after changing it so it points to the publically
hosted OpenLayers.js and removing its reference to a css file).

So somehow this is a browser as well as a "from where are you running this
bit of HTML/js" issue?

Any tips would be very welcome,
Yours truly,
Lost in the ether,