[OpenLayers-Users] do tile layers load all tiles for a given zoom layer all at once?

Joseph Miller jamiller at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 28 10:02:04 EST 2009

Hey All,
I am doing a deep dive into the openlayers code in an attempt to further
understand how tile loading is implemented in order to fix some issues I
am having with a custom implementation.  One thing that I am having
trouble figuring out is whether all of the tiles are loaded for each zoom
level right away when the zoom happens of if there is a way to get
OpenLayers to only load the visible portion of the tiles plus a buffer
(with further loading being triggered when the user pans into the buffer).
 From what I can tell tile loading (addTile) is only called by
initGriddedTiles, and only when the forceReTile boolean is triggered by a
zoom or by a pan that goes completely outside of the layer boundaries?

Thanks,
Joe Miller