[OpenLayers-Users] zIndexing across multiple vector layers

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Mon Feb 16 10:41:26 EST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM, dalsinao <dalsinao at yahoo.es> wrote:
> I want to be able to change the z-order of features on Vector layers. I have
> checked this Z-Index ordering example (ordering.html) and it works when you
> are dealing with a single Vector layer; however, I have more than one vector
> layer and it may happen that features from different layers are located one
> on top of the other.

That's the concept of a layer. Layers are like a stack of paper
sheets. You can have only one sheet on top, but if your sheets are
transparent, only parts of sheets lying below will be obscured.

> In these cases I want to be able to change the feature displayed on top,
> regardless of which layer the feature belongs.

Then you have to make sure your features are all on the same layer.
There are several ways for populating a vector layer with features
from many sources, and you can even group them by setting feature
attributes.

> I have tried playing with the graphicZIndex, but it only seems to affect
> features on the same layer and it does not help to go on top of features in
> separate layers.

This is by design.

If you can give us a bit more context of your application, it will be
easier for us to give you an advice how to solve your problem.

Regards,
Andreas.

--
Andreas Hocevar