[OpenLayers-Users] limit cache buildup on client?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Feb 18 14:29:34 EST 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:00 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> OL doesn't cache any files, though the number of files it loads can be
> miniized by the 'buffer':0 option on tiled layers.
>
> This is all within the browser realm; outside of the Javascript world.

OK.  Seeing this had me a bit worried about performance, but as long
as the browser knows what it's doing, I'm OK with it.

Though in a fractionally zoomed map, with untiled layers, each pan and
zoom would create a unique image request, and the user would be lucky
to have the exact same image request later, so all those cached images
would be wasted.  I guess this is a good reason to use defined zoom
levels, and tiled layers when possible...

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy