[OpenLayers-Users] Just discovered OpenLayers -> free data sources for businesses?

David Raasch dr4296 at myoldhouse.com
Thu Feb 19 14:58:25 EST 2009

David,

Thanks for your lengthy reply!

With regards to requirements for map layers, we'd just be using this stuff
to compare client-site locations with "sources of impending doom" <grin!>
Earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.   So, my app will be plotting points by
latitude and longitude on a world map in order to compare distances and get
a nice overview.

As such, I'm looking for a world terrain map and a world street map, both of
which we could zoom in on, if necessary.  But we won't be using this to give
anybody street directions.  So, we won't need super up-to-date maps of
streets, just something that's reasonably accurate with regards to the
locations of towns and political boundaries.

The idea is that people will use this in one of two situations:

1) CASUAL OVERVIEW:  They walk by a wall monitor running the map or happen
to open it up in their web browser for a casual glance.  They see "hot
spots" identified, with points representing our clients within a certain
range of each hot-spot, depending on type.   They quickly surmise how much
"activity" is going on that we here in our division should be mildly aware
of.

2) FOCUSING FOR INFORMATION:  User receives an email alert saying that one
of their clients has a dangerous phenomenon within range.  They click on a
link in the email to go look at the map.  They zoom in on that particular
phenomenon or client, perhaps getting an idea of how many OTHER clients are
also affected.  (From there, if we were using Google Maps, they could click
on the various points to get pop-up balloons with minor details about each
client.  And, they could click on any icons representing any actual
earthquakes, hurricanes, etc, to get pop-up balloons with more details about
those incidents.

So, I think you'll agree, usage sounds "pretty basic".

Now, that said, I saw something here about the MODIS fire data.  I know
that's all in shapefiles.  If I could figure out some way to get fire data
and somehow compare that to our client sites' positions mathematically, that
would be great!

I had this whole thing running well, pulling in Earthquake, Tsunami, and
Hurricane alerts (most of them from CAP file formatted feeds)...and spitting
out an XML file for Google Maps and a KML file for Google Earth....and I was
just starting to work on National Weather Service storm warning feeds....
when the word came back that management wasn't going to pay for a Google
license <sigh>.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-