[OpenLayers-Users] Intuitive and good looking icons

Jani Patokallio jpatokal at iki.fi
Tue Feb 24 13:26:02 EST 2009

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> If you want to propose changes, I recommend patches be attached to a
> ticket, with suggestions. I'm not against changing what we have, I'm
> simply stating that I like them, and I think that anyone who says that
> they are obviously wrong -- as you are doing, again -- is missing the
> point.

Design is debatable, lack of usability is not -- I dare you, go ahead,
take *anybody*
unfamiliar with OL and ask them to figure out what the three identical
[+] icons mean
or how the magnifying glass with the red box works.  Dismissing
usability concerns as
"personal preferences" is facile: it's not a personal preference if our
users _don't understand
how to use the map_, and OpenLayers should damn well be usable out of
the box.

As for why I'm sitting here bitching instead of submitting new icons,
the answer is simple: I'm not
a graphic designer.  But I'm writing this to echo Zer's complaint, and
with any luck somebody
out there on this list is one or knows one.

Incidentally, tooltips for controls seem to have been implemented since
2.6 (Trac #822),
but apparently no default values are defined and you need to hand-hack
the Javascript to
add your own.  Is there any reason *not* to enable tooltips by default,
especially now
that OpenLayers supports localization?  If not, I'll write the patch myself.

Cheers,
-jani