[OpenLayers-Users] Intuitive and good looking icons

Mika Lehtonen mika at digikartta.net
Tue Feb 24 15:17:56 EST 2009

Christopher Schmidt kirjoitti:
> attitude is everything when communicating with
>     a mailing list
Shouldn't that also concern developers?

I am asking this because I've been noticing that in OL-users list there
are time to time so hostile responses to the users ideas that for
example I haven't ever experienced such in the Geoserver users list. I
think that all the users throwing ideas in the list are just trying to
make things better, not to question developers competence or ability to
do their work. Yeah, it easily happens that you come up with a superb
idea and share it in the list without thinking how to put it in there or
reconsidering how superb it really is. But one shouldn't take it as an
insult or yelling. In my opinion, everyone should have one vote,
regardless of whether you are a developer or an user, to vote for things
and features you like. After all, it isn't just developers who are
making open source (software) possible.

What comes to the graphical design, I think it would be a great idea to
make availabe few libraries of those too, that is, if someone can
provide them as an open source. I do understand that the idea behind the
core of  OL is not to be a nice GUI but rather a "shell" that connects
different GI sources together and make them available for the potential
users. You can also switch to MapFish (www.mapfish.org) if you demand
more flexible GUI and still benefit from the OpenLayers library with a
help of the Extjs GUI library.

My two cents,
- mika -