[OpenLayers-Users] Layer.Vector with multiple data sources

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Thu Jan 8 12:29:18 EST 2009

Alexandre Dube wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
>   I want to discuss about a new feature on Layer.Vector : multiple data
> sources depending on the zoom level.
>
>   I already developped something very similar :
> http://dev4.mapgears.com/bdga/bdgaWFS-T.html  At zoom level 0 to 3, you
> will see vector polygons ( regions ).  Each level comes from a different
> source that has been normalized to improve the rendering speed.  So,
> each zoom level has its own vector layer and they are all hidden from
> the layer switcher.  They are controlled by a dummy layer.
>
>   At first, I thought this was cool, but now that I think about it, a
> single type of data, the Quebec regions on my example, should be
> displayed on a single layer.  If I want to interact with my data the way
> it is now, I need to look at 4 different layers and keep track of a
> dummy layer also.  A single vector layer with the possibility to give it
> multiple data sources depending on the zoom level would be much better.
> What do you think ?  It could be a nice upgrade.

It should be easy to customize the strategy you are using (I assume
Fixed or BBOX) to change the url and/or params of the protocol on the
zoomend event (similar to the moveend event handler in the BBOX
strategy). This strategy would then have to know the urls/params for
each zoom level, and you would just interact with one vector layer.

Regards,
Andreas.

--
Andreas Hocevar