[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Book

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jan 13 13:59:00 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:18:17AM -0700, Bill Thoen wrote:
> In the meanwhile, it'd be great if those who know how the system works
> would add pages to the wiki -- or even just an outline of what us
> newbies and knowlessmen want/need so that when we can inspire a
> technical writer to do some open source docs development for us that
> there's a framework ready to write the book.

http://docs.openlayers.org/ is an attempt at more prose documentatin,
combining things that were originally in the Wiki with new dcumentation
and so on. Developing more documentatino in the wiki is reasonable, but
I think that docs.openlayers.org should be the permanant location of
book-like material, which is why I'ev spent a couple dozen hours of my
'free' time on it. If people don't like the way that site looks, then
commenting now is a great idea so that I can top spending time on it.

> Derek Watling wrote:
> > I would definately buy such a book. Preferably something in a tutorial form
> > that starts with a simple map and then adds advanced features and
> > customisation of the map. A section on TileCache would also be appreciated,
> > or am I just pushing my luck =)
> >

> > Kenny France wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Guys,
> >>

> >> Who on the list would like to purchase a book on Openlayers?
> >>

> >> I know I would ;)
> >>

> >> Let?s see how much response there is and MAYBE Chris / the open layers
> >> team
> >> would write one
> >>

> >> Kenny
> >>

> >> PS: if you guys do, Please remember me in the credits
> >>

> >>   _____
> >>
> >> I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for home users.
> >> SPAMfighter has removed 2129 spam emails to date.
> >> Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
> >> Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len>  for free now!

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta