[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Book

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jan 13 15:20:16 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:20:17PM +0200, Mika Lehtonen wrote:
> Excellent work. I didn't know its existence. I have a habbit just using
> class documentation and examples..
>
> I would definitely vote for carrying on your work, allthough it would be
> nice if you didn't need to use your free time on it.

I don't have to. Anyone else can contribute -- either by putting
together a wikipage (a la
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Documentation/Dev/introduction) in RST,
or by otherwise contributing documentation that I can toss into the
framework.

ReST is easy to learn and write, and migrates trivially to the
documentation site. Alternatively, patches to the docs are welcome; feel
free to file them as tickets in trac, assigned to me.

(Of course, integrating them still hits against my 'free time', but much
less so than writing the documentation myself, something I've already
given up 4 beautiful Saturdays to. :))

> - mika -
>
> Christopher Schmidt kirjoitti:
> >On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:18:17AM -0700, Bill Thoen wrote:
> >
> >>In the meanwhile, it'd be great if those who know how the system works
> >>would add pages to the wiki -- or even just an outline of what us
> >>newbies and knowlessmen want/need so that when we can inspire a
> >>technical writer to do some open source docs development for us that
> >>there's a framework ready to write the book.
> >>

> >http://docs.openlayers.org/ is an attempt at more prose documentatin,
> >combining things that were originally in the Wiki with new dcumentation
> >and so on. Developing more documentatino in the wiki is reasonable, but
> >I think that docs.openlayers.org should be the permanant location of
> >book-like material, which is why I'ev spent a couple dozen hours of my
> >'free' time on it. If people don't like the way that site looks, then
> >commenting now is a great idea so that I can top spending time on it.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta