[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Book

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 22:50:20 EST 2009

I would be happy to kick in $25 - $50 to support the production of
documentation.  Instead of making access to documentation subject to a
donation, I would rather have any donation money leveraged by making
more documentation available to as many people as possible.  People
who have never used OpenLayers, people looking for a new solution,
etc.  Evangelism vs subscription.

I understand what Chris is saying.  Some people get off on coding and
are willing to spend their personal time writing code for a project
that they think is worth while.  These same people may not find the
same pleasure in writing documentation.  (not many people do...)

I think that the key to grass roots documentation development is to
encourage people who are OpenLayers users who are not core developers,
who want to give something back to the project to write documentation.
 While it would be cool to have a paper book, it would start to become
out of date as soon as it was published.  The same amount of resources
and time, contributed by a larger group of people, could create (and
maintain) some really great web-based documentation.

David.