[OpenLayers-Users] Hover control sample (share)

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Fri Jan 16 09:51:31 EST 2009

> But, actually, there are so many people needing that thing that it may
> be valuable to have it in trunk.

Having a select control and a "highlight" control that just styles
features so that you know which one you have info for without actually
selecting it plus having an efficient strategy to display a large number
of features would be well ... perfect :-).

About the last issue, I was thinking this morning that since the
rendering is the slow part, why not get all the features in a given
viewport and shove them into some grid in a div and render a number of
clusters much smaller than the number of features in the viewport (or
BBOX).  There are a couple of issues with that, like having a small
number of clusters represent adequately enough the spatial distribution
of a large number of features, but I thought the user could then clik on
a row in the grid and the feature would be "highlighted".  I would get
for example the full set of features in say a GeoJSON object and then
shove only a portion of those to a vector layer with or without a
cluster strategy so I wouldn't need to use maxfeatures on the vector
layer.  That way I would have all the objects on the client side.
Thinking out loud, without much clue as to how that would operate in
code ...

Yves