[OpenLayers-Users] Antarctic OpenLayers Map

coastalrocket andy at planetnomad.com
Fri Jan 16 10:50:59 EST 2009

I built an openlayers map of the antarctic i thought i would share with the
list.
http://www.teamqinetiq.com Team QinetiQ  are involved in a race to the South
Pole. I was responsible for the mapping.

Map base layer came from the usgs via the british antarctic survey. A 2Gb
tiff down to a 37 j2k file held on geoserver using oscache. The map shows
the team's current position using kml. The team have a gps unit linked to a
satellite phone. The position is picked up on our servers and the kml is
updated if they've moved from last known position. There's also some nice 3D
google earth plugin pages showing the same data.

The openlayers map i originally thought was displaying universal polar
stereographic coordinates but now i'm not so sure. I think it just might be
crazy large lats and longs. Frankly time was pressing and once the data was
being displayed correctly the map remained untouched. Some nice perl scripts
read in the kml and produce a kml_ups file which is then served up in
openlayers. The Google Earth version uses the preprocessed kml file. Gdal as
a perl module was used to convert the coordinates.