[OpenLayers-Users] Hover control sample (share)

Ivan Grcic igrcic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 05:06:40 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Eric Lemoine <eric.c2c at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Alexandre Dube <adube at mapgears.com> wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>>  I took a look at the SelectFeature control.  Now I understand what you
>> meant and it makes sense.  Also, it's also making sense to have this control
>> have the possibility to highlight on hover or on click.
>>
>>  "beforefeaturehighlighted" and "featurehighlighted" events make sense, but
>> a "featureunhighlighted" (or some other term meaning that the feature was
>> highlighted and is now no more) would also be useful.
>
> Alexandre,
>
> The more I think about this highlight feature control the more I think
> there's no room for both a select feature and a highlight feature
> controls.

Same opinion here. We already have a bunch of controls, and now adding
two very similar ones...

Currently im using slightly modified SelectFeature control, i added
one more option to it: selectOnHover, thats how i quickly solved the
problem of only highlighting feature without selecting it.

If selectOnHover is true, feature is selected&higlighted (select
method is called) on hover, if its false feature is only higlighted,
not selected.

> What causes people trouble is that they can't use two select feature
> controls, one in hover mode and the other in click mode. This is
> because once a feature is hovered it is selected, and cannot be
> selected again when it is clicked.
>
> Maybe we could modify the select feature control so that (1) it
> optionally uses its own selectedFeatures array, as opposed to relying
> on the layer's, and (b) defines its own "beforefeatureselected",
> "featureselected" and "featureunselected" event types. In this way,
> one should be able to use two select feature controls, and get
> "featureselected" events, from the first control when features are
> hovered and from the second control when features are clicked.
>
> Tell me what you think,
>

> --
> Eric

Ivan Grcic