[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers.ProxyHost

alyssa wright apw217 at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 23 12:59:37 EST 2009

Hi all,

I know it's been asked before, but after hitting my head against many a
wall I humbly ask again:

I've been attempting to get the rss examples in general, and georss.html
example, in particular to work with an HTTP URL.

As instructed in the FAQ, I saved the proxy.cgi script from the svn
download in a cgi-bin folder within my local examples folder.  Then I
set the proxyhost variable to  OpenLayers.ProxyHost =
"/cgi-bin/proxy.cgi?url=";  When I navigate to the script
(http://localhost:8888/openlayers/examples/cgi-bin/proxy.cgi) the
resulting content is the text of the script and not the openlayers
site.  (I do not know if this is a sign of a problem).

When I attempt to load the feed
(http://www.greenwich-church.net/GeoRSS.xml) in georss.html,
"GeoRss.xml" shows up as an overlay, but no data registers on the map.
When I load this same feed on the openlayers version
(http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/georss.html) "Greenwich Church"
shows an an overlay along with corresponding data.

I have tried various combinations of where to save the proxy script
(e.g., in the examples folder with the georss file and the variable as
OpenLayers.ProxyHost = "";) and I have tried variations where the
AddHandler section of my httpd.conf knows to call python (as instructed
here http://gist.fas.harvard.edu/chgis/?p=14).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Alyssa.

PS.  I am not that interested in greenwich churches. . . it was just an
easy test case.