[OpenLayers-Users] Problem using containsPoint or intersects

Brian Walawender Brian.Walawender at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 26 12:37:27 EST 2009

Hello,

I am trying to use the containsPoint function to check to see whether a
point is within a polygon.  Here is a snippet from my code:

 // create a polygon feature from a linear ring of points
                        var pointList = [];
                        var polyPoints = polygon.split(",");
                        for (var i in polyPoints) {
                                var pLonLat = polyPoints[i].split(" ");
                                var newPoint = new
OpenLayers.Geometry.Point(pLonLat[0], pLonLat[1]);
                                pointList.push(newPoint);
                        }

                        var linearRing = new
OpenLayers.Geometry.LinearRing(pointList);
                        var warnPoly = new OpenLayers.Feature.Vector(new
OpenLayers.Geometry.Polygon([linearRing]));

 var checkPoint  = new OpenLayers.Geometry.Point(x, y);
                                isIn = warnPoly.containsPoint(checkPoint);

Unfortunately I get an error stating that containsPoint is not a function.
I've also tried intersects with no success either.

bw

Brian Walawender
Technique Development Meteorologist
Scientific Services Division - Central Region Headquarters
816-268-3114 - Office
816-805-6497 - Cell