[OpenLayers-Users] Adding a vector feature from WKT

Derek Watling derek at cmainfo.co.za
Thu Jan 29 08:24:22 EST 2009

Thanks Christopher

By the time I got your reply I had already written my own function, but it
is based on the assumption that the features will always be Linear Rings
(they should be in my case), but I'm sure your function is a lot more
roubust.

function PolygonFromWKT(wkt) {
    if (wkt.substring(0, 7) == "POLYGON") {
        var geomLR = new OpenLayers.Geometry.LinearRing;
        var aPts = wkt.substring(9, wkt.length - 2).split(', ');
        for (var pt = 0; pt < aPts.length; pt++) {
            var aPt = aPts[pt].split(' ');
            var geomPt = new OpenLayers.Geometry.Point(aPt[0], aPt[1]);
            geomLR.addComponent(geomPt);
        }
        return geomLR;
    }